Monday, November 29, 2010

Judging a book by its other cover

While searching for the cover of the version I have right now, I came across another one. ------>

It's a little more obvious to decipher compared to the first. A large crowd of people can be seen in the bottom right corner. They all seem to be looking in the distance where a ship can be seen. This is a huge part of the novel. It is how Kiam, his father and Poh-Poh arrived in Vancouver and also how Stepmother arrived; by boat. I'm sure the docks are flooded with people all the time, either waiting for shipments of China goods to come in or family or friends from China to arrive; a big part of the citizens of Chinatown's lives was spent at the docks.

As for the flower in the top right, I am not entirely sure of what kind it is. If I had to choose one it would be a white lily; it seems to resemble it the most. According to a few sites, the white lily symbolizes purity, modesty, virginity and heaven. They are also perceived as feminine since they have been said that they were created by Juno, the queen of the gods (in Roman mythology). This could symbolize that there is a feminine side to the book and that women are more respected there.

I thought maybe it could be a flower indigenous to China, but after searching I still could not find anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment